When enabled with the appropriate subscription, the AmigoCollect mobile application can integrate with high precision external GPS units. Both Android and iOS devices support most external Bluetooth GPS units.
AmigoCollect integration with external bluetooth GPS devices on the Android platform is very simple.
- Install a vendor provided Bluetooth application or any generic Bluetooth GPS application.
- Connect it to the GPS unit.
- Enable "mock location" in Android System settings.
After that, start the AmigoCollect application, it should use the positioning information from the external GPS unit.
With any generic external GPS unit, AmigoCollect will be able to receive latitude, longitude, and accuracy data for geometry creation in manual or recording mode. Also, this data will be used when recording a track.
The external bluetooth GPS unit should be paired with the iOS device using System Settings. AmigoCollect application has a Settings view to configure the GPS mode.
The options for "Use external GPS" include:
- Internal GPS ON. The internal GPS is used. Latitude, longitude, accuracy, bearing and speed will come from the internal GPS unit.
- Internal GPS OFF. The internal GPS unit is turned off to improve battery life. If the external GPS unit is paired and connected using one of the available Bluetooth GPS applications, the AmigoCollect application will receive latitude and longitude data from the external GPS. All other position information fields including accuracy, bearing, and speed will come from the internal Location Manager. This means only the latitude and longitude is valid and useful location information. It is preferred to use vendor specific Bluetooth GPS applications.
- High Precision External GPS (will be deprecated in future releases).